Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

I am always amazed by the people around the world that re-enact the crucifixion. They do it as penance, or to bring themselves closer to Jesus' suffering, I suppose. But, I thought the point of Jesus' death was that he did it for us. I can see the appeal, though.

Holy Week is so dramatic, and some of us just thrive on drama. I have never been able to bring myself to attend the Good Friday services. I am overwhelmed at Palm Sunday, where we hear the story of what happened on Friday, and I am often reduced to tears. For me, it's the betrayal that is so upsetting. And the guilt - that the crowd shouting to "crucify him!" is US. We are the ones for whom this all happened. So, in a way, I get the "Penitentes" who nail themselves to crosses. If it helps reduce the guilt of it, maybe it's not so bad after all.


UPDATE: A friend just sent me this link to the "Facebook Passion." FANTASTIC!

No comments: