Monday, December 10, 2007

Food Fives meme

Food Fives

I found this fun food-related meme at City Mama. If you are reading this, consider yourself tagged (and link back so I can find you!)

What were you cooking/baking 10 years ago?
I had just moved back to Philly after a year in parts Southward. I was married, but no kids yet, and still mainly vegetarian, though we did start eating fish right about then. I can’t really remember what I was cooking, but mainly pasta, beans and rice, broccoli enchiladas (husband’s family’s recipe). And as for baking, I made lots of pies and cobblers.

What were you cooking/baking one year ago?
Basically, same as what I was cooking 10 years ago, but with more kid-approachable stuff. Also, I decided to start making very nice sit-down meals for Sunday evenings. So I started searching on Epicurious every so often to get ideas. I started cooking more seasonally, and incorporating the colored fruits and vegetables in each meal (as much as possible) – so, a green and a yellow vegetable on Sundays, for example. Or at least have a starch that wasn’t truly bad for us. And then last Christmas, Josiah got me a Bundt ™ pan and I started baking cakes. Now I’m known as a cake-baker. And that’s a good feeling!

Five snacks you enjoy (in no particular order):

  • My ginger snaps
  • Super-crisp apples
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Carrots
  • Chile & lime tortilla chips

Five recipes you know by heart:

  • broccoli enchiladas
  • apple crisp (aka cobbler)
  • many Mexican-style beans & rice dishes
  • baked tofu w/rice & vegetables
  • most breakfast foods

Five culinary luxuries you would indulge in if you were a millionaire:

  • lobster; truly fresh, good seafood (mussels, shrimp, octopus, etc.) whenever I wanted
  • a wine cellar stocked with delicious red wine and champagne at all times
  • year-round access to the gardens at Villandry
  • having a chef of Turkish cuisine on-call at my home 24/7
  • all the ingredients necessary for any dessert concoction that I love on hand at all times, esp. fresh cream-based ones.

Five foods you love to cook/bake:

  • Pies
  • Cakes
  • Sunday Dinner
  • Potato salad
  • Mexican or Turkish feasts

Five foods you cannot/will not eat:

  • Beef (mad cow disease)
  • Tiny, cold, grey & white fish that I had once in Southern Spain
  • Don’t love beets or onions, but sometimes like foods they are in.
  • Liver, kidneys, most organ meats (esp. brains, see above)
  • Black licorice

Five favorite culinary toys:

  • Cuisinart
  • Good bottle opener
  • Rolling canvas for pie crust
  • Hand-held mixer
  • Egg-slicer (I love the concept, and as a kid I played it as a harp)

Five dishes on your "last meal" menu:

  • Lobster and roasted chicken, with a bottle of red wine, lots of good cooked vegetables and fresh fruit, followed by a tray of sweets. See TV movie, "Moll Flanders", for and idea of what I’m talking about.
  • My mom’s roast beef and Yorkshire pudding w/gravy, roasted potatoes and peas, w/ a bottle of really good red wine.
  • Soufflé with a cold champagne

Five happy food memories:

  • Every Turkish meal I ate in Turkey
  • The birthday dinner we had for my dad’s 60th in the South of France, and eating moules in Brittany
  • Making apple pie w/ my mam-gu
  • Our anniversary dinner at Cube in Montréal
  • And – eating reindeer and other traditional Finnish delicacies in Helsinki.

Your turn!

No comments: