Friday, December 7, 2007

Commercial Religion, Part II

Apparently, the Vatican is upset that an Italian cell phone is selling download-able Saints & church leaders for their phones. I don't know, I'm torn. As the cell phone reps say:
"I had the idea from my mother who always puts a prayer card in her bag before travelling," Labate said.

"I don't think it is scandalous or blasphemous at all. We have had saint and prayer cards for more than 600 years and we will always continue to have them.

"What we are doing is moving with the times," she added.

That's a good point. A small visual cue to remind people to pray can't be a bad thing, right? In my mind, it keeps religious art in our daily lives.

If the phone company were charging much more than the 3Euros per week that it is, I might have a problem (that does total over 150Euros per year!). But to me, this is the best kind of (religious) art: accessible, inexpensive, ever-present. I wonder how subscription rates are going.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I love this idea!

I do morning prayer with Mission St Clare and frequently use online lectionaries...

Of course, in dollars, 150 euro is about, I think more than my budget at the moment!