Thursday, March 6, 2008

Round-up of Green & other news

First of all, the crocuses are blooming here in the City of Brotherly Love! Thanks to Flatbush Gardener for the photo. Yes, that's Brooklyn, but Still!

I just found out about the Sandbox, posts from and about Iraq from the soldiers' point of view. I have clearly been living under a rock. Oy. Very moving.

According to BlogHer: the Wellstone Amendment, granting Insurance coverage parity to Mental and Physical health care access, passed the House. Now it needs to go to the Senate.

Apparently there are tunnels inside Niagara Falls! Who knew?!? Boing Boing found out before me.

Ireland truly is green and has reduced plastic bag usage by 94% since a bag tax went into effect. Why can't we do that here?

We could all try a "carbon fast" for Lent as a way to "do our bit." I saw that on It's getting Hot in Here - which reminds me of the Green Confessional I wrote about a while back. Plus it reminds me of Nelly. But that's a different story.

And finally, my horoscope this month is comforting, as usual a la Rob Brezsny's take:

PISCES (Feb. 19-March 20):

It's time you acknowledged that you are a miraculous work of art, a masterpiece unlike any other ever created. I'm not pandering to your egotism by telling you that. When I say, "Be yourself," I don't mean the self that wants to win every game and use up every resource and stand alone at the end of history on top of a Mt. Everest-sized pile of pretty garbage. When I say, "Be yourself," I mean the self that says thank you to the wild irises and the windy rain and the people who grow your food. I mean the self who's joyfully struggling to germinate the seeds of love and beauty that are packed inside every moment. I mean the spiritual freedom fighter who's scrambling and finagling and conspiring to shower all of your fellow messiahs with your best blessings.

No comments: