Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Jesus as Healer

I found this image on Boing Boing today. Awesome.

Our church offers unction every Sunday, and I have to say, that at first, I was totally freaked out by the concept. But the more I think about it, and have massages in my non-religious life, I realize that there IS a healing power in touch. And I have heard many sermons about the idea that maybe all the sick people that Jesus cured really just wanted some companionship, and care, and that's what cured them of their ailments.

This reminds me of one of my favorite paintings of Jesus' miracles which I saw in Montreal at the Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal. I have to postcard at home - The Raising of Jairus' Daughter, by Gabriel Max, 1878 - and I found the image on Flickr. So moving. It's strange to see a painting of one of Jesus' miracles and see so little of him. But, it's such an intimate and amazing moment. A miracle.

No comments: