Tuesday, May 12, 2009

San Clemente & a Mithraic Temple

I'm back, but slow to blog at this point. Feeling a little out of practice.

When I got to the blog this morning, I saw that the highlighted "Sacred Destination" was a Mithraic Temple, that had been built upon by the Basilica di San Clemente in Rome.
Byzantine fresco in the right aisle of the Lower Church, discovered by Fr Joseph Mullooly in 1857, depicting the Madonna and Child. It is believed to have originally been a contemporary portrait of the Empress Theodora painted in the 5th or 6th century, which was transformed into the Virgin and Child in the 8th or 9th century. On either side are two ladies, who were probably originally members of the imperial court but later became Saints Euphemia and Catherine with the crowns of martyrdom. Photo © Paradoxplace.com.

This is one of my favorite types of religious sites - one where a previous tradition has been built over, but still remains. This is one of the things I appreciate about the seasonal liturgy (Liturgical Year) of the Church as it cycles through the Lectionary. The overlays are what fascinate me, and keep me thinking about religion.

No comments: