Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Random Round-Up



Up Helly Aa - Britain's biggest fire festival and torchlight procession took place in Lerwick, Shetland, to celebrate its Norse heritage. (Doesn't it seem like it should be called, "UP! Hell YAA!"?)



In depressing news, there are even more signs that our food supply is getting grosser and grosser by the minute. (Maybe I mean Grocer?) Check this out:
  • Even though we know pesticides are bad, and chemicals derived from nerve agents used in warfare are worse, there are still enough of them in the regular food found at grocery stores to cause traces of the chemicals in children's saliva and urine. [Wonder of wonders!] The same study found that when kids ate organic food, the bad chemicals were NOT present.
  • You all wonder why I don't eat beef?? Mad Cow disease, my friends! I have absolutely NO FAITH that our livestock population at mega-farms is healthy. And stories like this reinforce my fears (don't click through if you're squeamish).
  • On a brighter note, a 3-year study has just been launched into whether healthier food choices (and ingestion!!) might decrease aggression and violent behavio(u)r in Britain's prison population. I think I know what the findings will show, but being the amateur scientist that I am, I will wait to see the proof before jumping to conclusions!

And in even more positive news, the Australian government has announced that they plan to officially apologize to the Aboriginal people of Australia for their mistreatment throughout the years. It's about time. But a good step.







Last, but most certainly not least, here's a shout-out to my pal, Charlotte! Go check out her beautiful photos from Siena. The mosaic is amazing, right!? And the carved head (from one of the doors ?) is so beautiful. She says there's more to see.... so keep up the great work - Yay Charlotte! we're all waiting!

Phew. Well, that's all for now. Keep it tuned to this same bat channel, folks.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Well, now I'd better get posting :)