Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Super Smeller??

While I was walking to work this morning, I smelled the beautifully fresh smell of rain falling on ice. It reminded me of the two scenes in "Ice Storm" where Elijah Wood's character, Mikey, talks about the sense of smell.

Mikey Carver: Because of molecules we are connected to the outside world from our bodies. Like when you smell things, because when you smell a smell it's not really a smell, it's a part of the object that has come off of it, molecules. So when you smell something bad, it's like in a way you're eating it. This is why you should not really smell things, in the same way that you don't eat everything in the world around you because as a smell, it gets inside of you. So the next time you go into the bathroom after someone else has been there, remember what kinds of molecules you are in fact eating.

AND:

Sandy Carver: Where are you going?
Mikey Carver: Out.
Sandy Carver: Its freezing!
Mikey Carver: Yeah
Sandy Carver: Then why are you going?
Mikey Carver: When its freezing.... Because it means the molecules aren't moving, so when you breathe, there's nothing in the air, you know, you breathe into your body, the molecules have stopped, its clean.

That's how my walk smelled this morning, clean - pure. It made me wonder if Mikey had a super sense of smell, sort of like a "super-taster" but of the nose. What would the word be, a "super-smeller"? Apparently, according to this quiz, I am a "super-taster". Nothing to Chartreuse's husband, but still.

That whole thought process brought me to remembering an Old Spice commercial from a few years back that I just LOVED. I have spent the day searching the interwebs, and have found only one mention of it, and nothing on Utube, so I guess it no longer exists!

The commercial showed 2 women talking about their boyfriends and complaining about them. But then one of the guys walks by and she smells him, and she's all kissing and hugging him and it's like she doesn't remember anything bad he ever did, because he smells so great. I can TOTALLY relate to this ad. AND I love the smell of Old Spice

No comments: